ed note

Editor's Note: I think the word delightful is kinda lame, but I really like the alliteration. :)

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Ghost (Chair) of Ikea

I have to preface this post by warning you that I am having a little bit of an Ikea Renaissance right about now.  I had a period when I first moved out on my own and my whole apartment was Ikea, because it was all I could afford.  Then I got all high and mighty with my Biglaw salary and thought I was too fancy pants for Ikea.  But after moving from NYC back to the OC, I was faced with a little bit of a problem: much bigger house, much smaller salary.  I had lugged back most of my furnishings from NYC... which basically just manages to furnish our guest room... and had a lot more ground left to cover.  So I went hunting high and low, craigslist, west elm, etc., and pieced together a lot of stuff that way.  But I kept running into roadblocks that for some reason I was only finding solutions for at, gasp, Ikea.

It had been quite a while since my lazy bones had been inside of an Ikea (though I must admit I had peeked through their catalog for staging ideas) and was reasonably pleased with what I found.  Remember, you are listening to a gal who still manages to justify trips to F21 at age 30.  For some items, especially trendy crap, I just feel like its better to get them somewhere low budge, because chances are, you aren't gonna be into it a few years from now.  And that is something that Ikea does pretty well: trendy crap.  Like this take on the ghost chair:
The Ghost of Ikea

The Original


I am not one of those girls who gets my panties in a wad about a knock off, but I kinda like that these aren't a straight up copy of the original Philippe Starck Louis Ghost Chair (beautiful in their own right, but I am not at the point in my personal history where I am spending that kinda cheddar on some damn chairs).

I think the Ikea chairs are a fun, even more modern take on the ghost chair.  And at $79.99 each they are a little more budget friendly than the original.

Ikea Tobias

No comments:

Post a Comment