ed note

Editor's Note: I think the word delightful is kinda lame, but I really like the alliteration. :)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

So This Is Probably A Good Idea.

The CFDA (or Council of Fashion Designers of America for you muggles) just introduced a guideline for New York Fashion Week recommending that models produce ID proving they are at least 16 before hopping on the runway.  Now first of all, whatever, I am sure plenty of girls will just get fakes.  It is really hard to stop a teenage girl from getting what she wants, especially if all it takes is a convincing fake ID.  But at least they will have to put forth some effort and really contribute to their "unsettling glamorization" as Huffington Post puts it.

Thylane Loubry Blondeau
Now a few weeks back, a friend forwarded me this pic of Thylane Loubry Blondeau that was making the rounds, and suggested that I comment on the whole sitch.  My response was "eh, it's really a gorgeous picture.  I don't really have a problem with it."  Yeah yeah, I am a monster, I know.  

So why do I now think that carding teens to get on the runway sounds like a reasonable idea when I wasn't too bothered by these Lolita pics?  First of all, a photo shoot can be a controlled, parentally guided, non-public situation.  Yeah maybe they are crap parents, maybe they aren't there at all, but hopefully they are.  Second, if there is a tiny bee sting nip slip, it's not exposed to the masses, just to one pervo old photographer.  Third, it's art, albiet art that walks a close line to the inappropriate, but a lot of good art does that.  This pic of Miss Thylane is as much a commentary about the glamorization of babes as much as it just plain glamorization.  So maybe those aren't good excuses.  Who am I to say?

WWD via Huff Po

No comments:

Post a Comment