ed note

Editor's Note: I think the word delightful is kinda lame, but I really like the alliteration. :)

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Who's the Baz?!? (Big Red in Baton Rouge)


For as long as I can remember, I've had a penchant for all things Southern: food...hospitality...men. So, when I recently was offered a job in NYC with a company based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, I was stoked on more levels than one.

Much to my chagrin, Gawker (Sis' most trusted news source) just named Baton Rouge the 16th most dangerous city in the US.  As a New Yorker, I'm used to being told that my city is this, that and the other.  However, as an honorary Baton Roug(ian?) I want to set the record straight.

Yes, Baton Rouge is a destination location for LSU and college football fans, and yes, it is often passed over for the rowdier New Orleans, but, and this is a big BUT, it has played a wonderful host to me every time I've been down there. I have never been nervous and have always enjoyed the southern hospitality on display. With that, I give you my restaurant list for if you're ever down in the bayou:

Ruffino's - Southern meets Italian at this restaurant. I love a restaurant that gives you a dip when they give you the bread basket. Ruffino's is basically like what I would picture the best Ceasar salad dressing to taste like. Also, while I normally loathe cheesecake, the crab cheesecake appetizer was delicious. As for main courses, everything from the traditional Italian lasagna and meatballs to the southern staple of cedar plank redfish looked amazing! Whatever you decide to eat, come hungry!
Mansurs on the Boulevard - This restaurant is amazing. Definitely sit at the bar. Definitely get the roasted oysters...they're like heaven in your mouth. Amazing! The redfish is great too, as is the gumbo. Oh and the brie and crab soup. AND The soft shelled crab was amazing as well. I could keep going, but by now you get the point. Go. To. This. Restaurant. If. You're. Ever. In. The. Bayou!
Serops - Greek food in Baton Rouge. Crazy, no? Apparently not. There are a ton of Greek restaurants, and though this is the only one I've been to, I'm told its the only one to go to.
Ruths Chris Steakhouse - No Baton Rouge restaurant list would be complete without Ruth's Chris. Especially since its the original! Franchising started because of a LSU football player who was a regular at the bar and decided to move out of the state (or so the story goes...). Get the fillet - trust me. And the bread pudding. I literally almost died after the bread pudding!

* I'm allergic to crawfish, so I'm sure I've definitely left some favorites out.

** Check back in a few weeks, maybe I'll have some more for Baton Rouge restaurants to try. Until then, follow me at Sissy's blog for anything and everything New York City (or just the things that are an attempt to make Sissy come back and visit the greatest city on earth!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment