ed note

Editor's Note: I think the word delightful is kinda lame, but I really like the alliteration. :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SAVE THIS MODEL: An Open Letter to Revolve Clothing (Update)

UPDATE: After my original post, I received an email from Revolve Clothing which is copied below.   The pictures of the model described below have been removed for her privacy. 

Dear Revolve Clothing,

Not too long ago, I posted about dress for sale on RevolveClothing.com.  In my post, I noted that it looked like either the picture on the Revolve website was super photoshopped or the model had a serious problem.  Since that post, a few of my dear readers have sent me other pictures from the Revolve website showing the same model.


From these pictures, it's pretty clear that this is not a case of photshopping gone wild.  Rather, this is a girl with a problem.  A pretty egregious problem.  Now I understand that clothing looks better on ladies who are tall and thin.  Clothes just hang better (and sell better) when shopper's aren't distracted by any unflattering bulges or what have you.  But this is really taking it to the next level.  This girl is obviously very pretty and obviously way. too. skinny.  She looks like she would be a very lovely model if she had an extra 5-10 lbs on her, but in her current state she just looks tired and SO hungry.  (I guess it doesn't help matters that she is always clutching her stomach like she just swallowed a handful of laxatives)  A grown woman's knees should not be wider than her thighs and her head should definitely NOT be wider than her hips.  Period.

Now, I have recently reached the ripe old age of 30, and I would be very hard pressed to name more than a handful of my girlfriends who didn't have an eating disorder or at least a serious diet phase at one point in life.  I am not going to blame this on the fashion industry (or Revolve Clothing specifically), but jeeze, they really aren't helping here.  By posting pictures like these, they are saying "this looks ok" or "it's not weird for a grown lady to be this skinny." 

But, my dear readers, this does not look ok.  And shame on Revolve Clothing for thinking it does.  So I have decided to boycott Revolve Clothing until they take these pictures down, and I invite you to do the same.  No shopping at revolveclothing.com and no posting about items listed at revolveclothing.com.  I really like Revolve, but there are so many other online stores that sell the exact same products.  Yes, they all use thin models, but there is a line and I think Revolve has crossed it.


And also, on a side note, I am not trying to ruin this girls modeling career.  I think she is very lovely and could have a great career if she just put on a little bit of weight.  Please get help.

Ok, I am done with my soapbox for a while.

xoxo,

Sisyphus in Stilettos



Hi Sisyphus,
We came across your post regarding our model's weight and would like to acknowledge your concern.  Thank you for your feedback; we are absolutely aware of the responses to the model in question and it has definitely concerned us as well.  In many cases like this, models are under contract where we are unable to immediately discontinue their use on our site.  However, two weeks ago we suspended all bookings with her until she puts on weight and are working closely with both the model and her agent to get her to a healthier size.  She won't be appearing in any of our new product batches or in any of our fashion editorial photos moving forward until the issue is adequately addressed. 
We respect and appreciate input from our customers and visitors and hope that you find our responses satisfying.   We have been attempting to respect the privacy of the model while also dealing with the situation on our end.  Thanks in advance for understanding the sensitivity of this issue.
Thanks,
REVOLVEclothing.com Press Department 


No comments:

Post a Comment